Every year our nation requires about 4 Crore units of blood, out of
which only a meager 40 Lakh units of blood are available.
- The gift of blood is the gift of life. There is no substitute for human
- Every two seconds someone needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year.
Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood
The number one reason donors say they give blood is because they "want to help
- Two most common reasons cited by people who don't give blood are: "Never
thought about it" and "I don't like needles."
- One donation can help save the lives of up to three people.
- If you began donating blood at age 18 and donated every 90 days until you reached
60, you would have donated 30 gallons of blood, potentially helping save more than
- Only 7 percent of people in India have O-negative blood type. O-negative blood type
donors are universal donors as their blood can be given to people of all blood types.
- Type O-negative blood is needed in emergencies before the patient's blood type is
known and with newborns who need blood.
- Thirty-five percent of people have Type O (positive or negative) blood.
- 0.4 percent of people have AB-blood type. AB-type blood donors are universal
donors of plasma, which is often used in emergencies, for newborns and for patients
requiring massive transfusions.
There are four main blood types: A, B, AB and O.In 1901, Karl Landsteiner, an Austrian
physician, discovers the first three human blood groups. On his birthday i.e June 14th
"World Blood Donors Day" celebrates. On October 1st "National Blood Donation Day"
celebrates in India.